Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Why do they make us jump a border?

The other day I was thinking about my culture (as I always often am) and was wondering about how much of it is practiced in our family. There’s a term that non-Americans from different parts of the world like to use when living in the U.S. for so long. That term is “Americanized.” “Americanized” is the term used when non-American families have assimilated so well after living in the U.S. that they have adapted the “American” lifestyle while possibly maintaining little or none of their heritage culture. But it’s a little funny to me because isn’t culture something that someone has to keep in order for it to exist in their lives? Calling it “Americanized” only blames the loss of their culture on America. Shouldn’t it be up to the individual and their families to sustain that culture?

It got me thinking about my heritage and what we do to maintain our “Mexican” roots and what do I do that defines my Mexican heritage. And, honestly……It’s not much. Have I become “Americanized?” Should I blame this country and its lifestyle for losing my Mexican culture? No! It’s my responsibility to keep what I grew up with. There are different ways and characteristics that defy a culture. For example, my family’s Mexican culture may not be the same as the culture from an Oaxaca family. In fact, it’s not! If I were to define my Mexican culture it would be the following: family, communication, faith, food, and music.
- Family because of our close relationships between all of us. The way we rely on each other and how we trust each other.
- Communication because our language is inevitably fading and it’s one of the biggest factors in our culture. From the oldest child to the youngest in my family, there’s a difference in how each speaks Spanish. The oldest, speaks Spanish as if that’s the only language that exists. And the youngest speaks Spanish with a bit of difficulty mixing in some English to help better understand. Even I am forgetting my own language. If it wasn’t for my mother, I probably wouldn’t ever speak Spanish.
- Faith because growing up in the Catholic Church was a constant reminder that God is love and the creator of all things. And, when there is no one else to turn to, turn to God. Along with faith, we have the Quincenera and “la primera communion y confirmacion.” Which I participated in.
- Food because of the classic Mexican food I grew up with that defies my culture. I’m talking about menudo, sopes, mole, chilaquiles, chile relleno, huevos rancheros, frijoles de la olla, and the list goes on and on.
- And last but not lease, Music. Music because it plays and demonstrates who and what we are. I find mariachi music to be so touching and heart warming that whenever I miss my family, I play it and it reminds me of them.

So am I doing my part to keep my Mexican culture? I’m ashamed to say it but…..no, I am not. I don’t go to church regularly, I hardly speak Spanish. I only speak it to my mom. And I sure as hell don’t cook anything that requires more than ten minutes to prepare. The only thing I do is listen to the music when I throw on some Vicente Fernandez. Do I want to change it? Yeah! I want to be just like my mother. And, my mother screams of proud Mexican culture. One day, I’ll transition back. But not before it’s too late. However, there is one thing I want to add to my Mexican culture. And that is knowledge. Growing up in my family, I never really learned about Mexico’s history. I just recently learned about “Los ninos heroes” from my sister’s boyfriend. How could I be withheld from this amazing story? (check it out on goolge) That’s one thing I will change. After I finish my complete education (credential or masters) I will make it my official duty to know all of Mexico. I already know all about America because of public school growing up. But hardly know anything about Mexico. I will know it all one day.

Ok so now that you’ve gotten my take on culture, let me acknowledge to you, my reader, the idea of Hispanic Heritage month here in America. Hispanic Heritage month was established by President Lyndon Johnson in 1968 but later expanded by Ronald Reagan. It begins September 15 and ends October 15 and is supposed to be recognized as the time to celebrate the contributions of Hispanic Americans made to the U.S. I find it a bit ironic that Hispanic heritage month can’t be recognized within one solid month. The U.S. tries so hard to prevent Hispanics from jumping the borders but yet they expect us to celebrate our existence buy jumping the border of September to October! I find it quite funny! Unfortunately, I cannot take credit for this funny recognition because I heard it on an episode of “Que Locos.” That was a funny show! No where else did I see a bunch of funny short Mexicans! Anyway, that’ll just about do it on my thoughts of culture and Mexican tradition. And remember…..you can’t blame America for the loss of your culture. It’s up to you to keep it alive! (Geesh! I feel like a PSA saying that!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chenita,
I love you. Your writings always inspire me to want to write (which i suck at). You have some awsome talent woman! I say me & you visit Mexico this coming summer??? (or soon anyway)
lub u mucho,
My Melissa

Anonymous said...

I was hooked! u should be writing for a paper in ny or something like that. I think many mexicans will agree.
love u! -drea

erik gonzalez said...

I am glad that you said that preservign the culture is up to the individual and the community. That is a very Republican idea. Yes I went ther. LOL. Liberals beleive that the government should be the one that preserves the culture and heritage. I know for myself i plan to volunteer to teach mexican history classes at a community center. If only more latinos gave back instead of blaming the USA.

Jessenia said...

Eric, I'm not surprised you went there! Lol!! Hey, if you're gonna teach Mixican history classes, I would like to go. I wanna get my learn on!