Thursday, September 29, 2011

Red Tide Waves

Last night I saw what was probably the most beautiful and natural thing I have ever seen in my entire life. This may be old to coastal living people, but it’s definitely new to me. I’ve been living close to the beach for about 8 years now and I have never heard about this natural phenomenon until this week.

This past Monday, I was driving on the 101 Highway (beach route in Carlsbad, CA) before getting to work and I noticed the water looked very murky. It had this red/rust color and did not look at all tempting to get in, when usually it does. I get to work and I tell my boss about it and he begins to tell me that the change in color in the water is cause by a phenomenon called “Red Tide.”

“Red Tide” (also known as algal bloom) “in an event in which a large concentration of aquatic microorganisms accumulate rapidly through the surface of the water resulting in discoloration. When these microorganisms are present in high concentrations, the water appears to be discolored or murky, varying in colors from purple to almost pin, normally being red or green.”

However, at night when it’s completely dark, when the waves break, an illuminating blue/green glow is seen as the water hits the shore. “The light is emitted by a bioluminescent organism producing energy released from the chemical reactions occurring inside the microorganisms.”

Also, if you step on the sand where the water hits, the sand lights up with every step. See in posted video!!

It is truly and honestly such a sight to see!! I drove past “The Strand” in Oceanside (which is a street you can drive on right next to the beach) and I saw huge waves lighting up as they crashed on the shore. It literally took my breath away and I was left so in awe of the whole thing. I stood there thinking I wish I had someone with me because I felt like it was too good to be true. It was absolutely beautiful. Sort of like a natural light show the ocean was performing. The videos and photos I posted don’t do it justice. It’s a sight you’d have to see to believe. So if you’re in the San Diego area, please go out tonight to see the glowing waves :o)

Thanks for reading,
Jessenia :o)





No comments: